Note this page reflects current research work - more transcripts etc will be added as available - most of the detailed info is however only availble on my CD.
A more detailed study is currently underway on the development of Peel as reflected in the property records in the Manorial Rolls. Family Historians may be interested as the Parish Records for German date from only 1667.
A plan showing putative identification of the various properties is available.
Currently work has started on
Any study needs to examine:
Transcriptions of the Manorial Roll (Liber Assed) for many years are available
as are the composition books
and the valuable 1760 copy
A start has been made on the Abbeyland Rentals
and also the Intacks
as well as the Quarterlands - especially Ballatersin
Ballatersin due to its proximity to Peel has been singled out -
One sequence of entries was established by the 1575 Manorial Roll and remained in force until the 1702 Act of Settlement after which a new, though related, sequence was adopted. The Lord's rent would appear to be based on the land and not the buildings placed upon it, thus as plots were subdivided the ground rent for the original was split between the various parties.
Mappings between the pre and post 1702 sequence and post/pre sequence are available.
The cottage roll rent was effectively unchanged from c.1584 through to the 1702 revision; any improvements in the property did not result in any increase in ground rent and as larger holdings were split between multiple owners the existing ground rent was split between the new smaller holdings. Sometime between the late 1570s and 1584 additional holdings were brought onto the roll - some of these were noted as enlargements to existing property (usually gardens) thus by about 1580 there was probably little or no unrented space within the then town boundary though a few houses within Peel are included within the Intacks. Expansion was seen in the adjacent quarterland of Ballatersin (approximately bounded by the Douglas road and the River) though this only appeared to start post 1720; again the ground-rent was unaltered by subsequent development. Ballaquane the adjacent quarterland was sold for building development in 1840 with a new road being made from the old Kirk Michael road.
Any 'new' land was included within the Intack rolls which show that land was reclaimed along the river side and also along the shore - several plots described as near Creg Malin are included . The common land along the river bank would appear to have been enclosed in the 1730s. George Moore, the merchant, reclaimed and enclosed a large plot from the shore in front of his town house in 1735 [IN135] and extended 1738 [IN162] which he used as his 'bowling green' and also his cellars . He later, in 1747, reclaimed a section [IN170] at the lower end of the harbour. Other merchants took the opportunity to enclose most of the river bank in the 1740s. The Parrs (James in 1751 [IN183] and son Caesar [IN188] in 1761) also reclaimed land from the foreshore a little further along the bay from George Moore's on which presumably they built their brewery - this reclamation was however washed away in a storm in the 1830s. The abrupt end to the running trade brought about by Revestment in 1765 brought an end to any further development along the shore until the Peel Building Company's development of Peveril Terrace in 1841 and the development of Creg Malin in the late 19th century.
Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The
© F.Coakley , 2006