Lonan locator map

Parish dedicated toSt Adamnan

See Parish Index page for description, links to 19th century directories etc.

Old Kirk Lonan -St Adamnan

Old Kirk Lonan

In 1733 parishioners petitioned Bishop Wilson for a new church as this old church, dating from around 14th century, was very inconveniently situated. When the new church was finally built in 1833, also almost as remote to the population, the old church, though supposed to be pulled down, was left to fall into disrepair. In 1895 Rev John Quine, a noted antiquarian, on appointment as Vicar rescued the old church from disrepair.

Grid Reference SC427794


In the church yard is one of the many crosses found in the Island.

[Lonan Cross]

Guide bookSt Adamnan's Church - Ballakilley Lonan : friends of Lonan old church (a section of this guide is in FHS vol 8 no 4)


Kirk Lonan All Saints

Kirk Lonan  All Saints

Built 1834 - another of Bishop Ward's churches but designed by John Taggart.

Church has recently been redecorated in an attractive shade of pink - which gives it an open feeling, helped by the removal of the end pews to provide an open space.

The liberty fabric that was once a feature of the church had to be removed as it had decayed beyond repair..

Grid Reference SC430830


Christchurch - Laxey

Christchurch - Laxey

With the development of the Laxey mines in the late 1840's the population increased considerably whilst the nearest church was some 3 miles away.
Built to the design of Ewan Christian on land donated by G.W.Dumbell on a hill besides the new road from Douglas to Laxey.It was constructed by his Mining Company at a cost of £950 and was consecrated by the Bishop, Lord Auckland, on 27th May 1856.
The design is described as 'early English' without any great ornamentation.

Grid Reference SC433845


Guide book The History of Christ Church Laxey 1996 published by parish
Guide book George Partington A History of Christ Church Laxey from 1850 to 1920
Connery ChappelThe Dumbell Affair includes considerable biographical detail of G.W.Dumbell and his Great Laxey Mining Company

Some excerpts from the Parish Register have been published.

 Parish Index

see also[Feltham's Tour & Memorial Inscriptions]

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2002