Peel — Public Houses

The following list of Peel Public Houses is based on that from Mathieson, where he notes:

"The history of these Peel inns is far from clear"

which sentiment I agree, as at times I find Mathieson's attributions somewhat confusing. All otherwise un-attributed quotes from Mathieson.

Since Mathieson's time another source of information has emerged - the Castle Rushen papers in Manx Museum have been sorted and amongst them are the annual list of applications (and approvals) for Public House licences (though not all years appear to have survived). Those for Peel were in the form of an annual list (no consistent order emerges) sent by the High Bailiff to Castletown around October of each year to cover the following year. These licence applications give only the name of the licensee - in a few cases marginal notes are added (that for 1797 actually gives occupation of all applicants), new applicants needed to present a certificate as to their suitability thus new entrants can be noted as well as a bond for their good behaviour. Lists for 1754-1780, 1780-1810 and 1820-1858 are available

In period 1800-1806 some 40-50 licences were applied for for Peel - presumably these include all shop-keepers who wished to retail alcohol. In the 1820s 3 separate licences were required - one for ale (10/6), spirits (21s) and wine (10/6), only the upmarket establishments took out a wine licence, likewise only a few 'ale houses' had just an ale licence. In the late 1820s public and private licences were noted - the later presumably corresponding to retail outlets (in UK terms the 'off-licence' for sale of alcohol off the premises). By the 1830s there was typically some 15-18 public houses in Peel with about 7 retail outlets. Folk memory would suggest that every house in Castle Street served alcohol - it is true that most properties in Castle street had at sometime been a drinking establishment but not, it would seem, simultaneously.

The major establishments by the 1820s were, using the name they are generally remembered by:


"Black’s is said to have been on the shore — perhaps quay would be more accurate"
Palmer quotes Black's Corner as where the Coastguard House was (on corner of Queen's Road and Shore Road ) — Corris's map of 1784 shows Mr Parr's Brewery on the seaward side of today's Shore Road in front of an open space known as the Plain (approximately where today's Marine Hotel stands). This brewery was washed away in the 1830s though it is not clear it was still operational — certainly associating a public house with the brewery makes sense. Cowley recall's his grandmother (? c.1830) recalling a 'windmill' and a house with steps here.
A Robert Black is shown as holding a licence from 1793 to 1802.
Mathieson considers it became the Liverpool Coffee House (1806 ?) which later transferred to the site now occupied by the Peveril, and the original premises to have been washed away by the sea sometime about 1830.
Bold Reynard
Described by Fred Palmer as "Opposite Meyrick Villa in Peveril Road there is a small double-fronted house known as Peveril Cottage, which during the early part of the nineteenth century public house known as the "Bold Reynard" and this was kept by a man named Corkill"
Caledonian and Liverpool
"In 1821 (Manx Sun 15. Sep.1821 ) Robert Grant, of the Liverpool Coffee-house, appears to have altered its name to that of the Caledonian and Liverpool, and in 1825 to have moved it from wherever it had been to ‘the house near the Quay formerly occupied as a Custom House’ (Manx Sun 4 June 1825) where he presided over it until at least 1835 (Jefferson’s Directory.). This house was probably the one which is now the Peveril (qv), first mentioned as an inn, under that name, in 1857 (Slater’s Directory) with Wm. Clarke as the landlord.." [Here I think Mathesion is wrong]
A Robert Grant is shown as holding a licence from 1802 to 1806, this name is not in the 1810 list (1811-1819 are missing) but it is in 1820-1834 lists (not in 1835 onwards). Robert is found along with wife Nichola Frazier in the 1814 Peel census, the baptisms of three children are found in the German PR (including a George Sutherland Grant born 1803 - possibly named after the erstwhile licencee of the Lord Nelson), there is a burial for a Nichola Frazier in 1816 at Kk Patrick. His move to Douglas might well be signalled by a burial for a Benjamin Grant (age 10) in 1833 at Douglas St George's - he and two daughters are in the 1841 census in Douglas (age given as 58 which is too young for him to have held a licence in 1802) but there is a burial of a Robert Grant aged 77 in Patrick in 1847 which fits better with dates.
The 1831 directory entry is for Market Place which could correspond to Peel Castle (qv) which would tie in with who appears to be the following licensee - Robert Thomas.
1823: Robert Grant, wine & spirit merchant, Caledonian & Liverpool Hotel, Big-street (old name for Castle Street)
1831: R Grant, Caledonian Hotel, Market Place [Oswald's Guide though Peel heading is missing]
1848 plan of Peel (in Leece Museum) shows the Caledonian Inn set back a little from the shore road (indicated as 'New Road') and midway between the two groynes in what later became Barrack Lane - it is shown as being parallel to the sea shore in a position that corresponds to what I believe was the Barracks. The Lord Nelson, described as opposite the Barrack gate may possibly be the building referred to in 1874 as "Phil Qullliam's House".
Peel - Central Hotel
Castle Street
Name modern (post 1894)
Lane by side (now Love Lane) previously known as Cottier's lane, McCormick's lane or Byr Briogh ('Dirty Lane) - if the previous names reflect the hosts of the nearby inn then it probably corresponds to the Manchester (run in 1852 by Cottier) and Wm McCormick and, later, widow Elizabeth who are noted as running an otherwise un-named inn in Big-street from 1861-1881. Current pub comprises two adjacent buildings which, according to George Goodwin, were both pubs - the smaller one was owned by a certain Sloane who operated it as a tavern and barber's shop, whilst the larger was a tavern kept by Sammy Holmes (a Thomas Holmes held a licence from at least 1820 to 1830, and in 1823 was one of only 4 licensees to sell wine - no licence for Sloane can be found). The two houses being merged sometime shortly after 1858. Goodwin also refers to an adjacent liquor shop but cannot recall where this was - this may have been the small pub shown in 1869 as the middle house in Byr Briogh.
Coach and Horses
Quay - the 1864 valuation list shows Thos Curphey occupying a site on the Quay corresponding to the Creek Inn/Oddfellows (qv)- the property was owned by John Teare
First appeared in licence list 1857 when held a wine licence
1857: Thomas Curphey .
1861: Thomas N Curphey
1863: Thomas Curphey
"The Custom House was built on ground on what was Sir George Moore’s bowling green, (see picture painted by John ‘Warwick’ Smith now in the Manx Museum in 1795) which was opposite to the original Marine [i.e. on corner of Castle street and Crown street].
This house appears to have become an hotel, known as the COMMERCIAL, in 1824 (18. June. 1824 Manx Sun). In 1828 the name was changed to the WHITE LION, which was retained until 1830. Later it was again a. private residence, and then the Marine (qv) (? as both Commercial and Marine mentioned in 1852)
See note on New Inn."
Here I think Mathieson is confused - a new Custom House and Habour Office was indeed built on Moore's Bowling green but not until 1864. That it was built on the site of a pub, 'Winters', is also accepted and it is possible that after the death of Mrs Peate in 1809 it was carried on - the position on the Quay would make it attractive though once the Peveril commenced it would lose trade. The Marine was converted from Sir George Moore's house which on Crown street which faced onto his bowling green.
1852: Wm Johnson, Quay (Slater's directory — note only other hotel was Marine — probably Peel Castle was still being rebuilt)
"was near the Marine. It no longer exists"..
This was the house set back from Crown Street as it turns into Munn's corner. A James Cowin (possibly father then son) held a licence from 1794 until his widow gave it up c.1835.
see Oddfellows
Creg Malin
In 1886 the Peel Land Development Company built the promenade from Stanley Road to the Headlands; as part of this development the Creg Malin Hotel was opened in 1888; built from Peel sandstone but faced with the yellow and red Ruabon brick popular at that time
1889: Edmund George Boyne
1894: Edward George Boyne
Crown, Castle Street
In 1881c No 3 Castle St
"Occupied the large and solid-looking house, now No. 7, on the south side of Castle Street. This is now a private residence" — not clear when name Crown first applied nor justification for date (1643) shown so prominently on the front. Goodwin states that Thomas Green, one time a circus clown (Toney Felix of Blackpool Tower Circus) and 'a noted liar' bought the place c.1901, applied the false wooden decoration to make it appear older and painted the name and date.
1857 lic list - Thomas Quilliam
1861: Thomas Quilliam, Church st (un-named tavern )
1863: Thomas Quilliam, Castle street (un-named tavern)
1881c: Thomas Quilliam (born Patrick) widower age 58 + daughter Catharine
presume same Quilliam who kept the 'old Inn' in Peel and went to Canada a few years prior to 1889 (see Crellin's article on sundial)
Cumberland Tavern
? location
1823: Alexander Cumming (Pigot's directory)
First noted as holding licence in 1823 - one of only 4 with a wine licence.

Fenella Hotel
From Brown's Directory 1881

Fenella Hotel

detail from c.1896 photo

Built (c.1875 ?) from wood & corrugated sheets on what is now Fenella Beach just before causeway to St Patrick's Island— later photographs show two conical (?) roofed towers on each side of the central block which kept the 3 dormer windows.
Burnt down in November 1896
1881c Robert Edward Wright (age 37 born Painswick) + 28 year Irish born wife + 2 children (aged 4 & 1 both born Peel) — in advert described as formerly of L.&N.W., L.C.&D. and Midland Railways, and late Station Master, IoM Railways,Peel
1884: R. E. Wright
1894: John Wood (in newspaper report of fire described as having retired from Cheshire Police Force and living with wife and step-son George Bowden) - he was a retired Inspector Detective - there is an interesting request in the archives at the Masonic Grand Lodge library in London in which he requests a replacement certificate as it was on display in his office and was destroyed along with all other belongings in the fire.
Quay St
1857: Catherine Creer.
Legs of Man
see Manx Arms - now Whitehouse (qv); shown on 1848 Plan of Peel.
Liverpool Coffee-House
Thomas Long is first noted as holding a licence by 1806 which confirms Goodwin's comment that Long came c.1803., Mathieson notes him as conducting an hotel called the Liverpool Coffee-house from 1809 to 1811 after which he seems to have briefly removed to Douglas(he does not appear to be in the 1814 Peel Census) before returning to Peel c. 1815 (see New Inn) .
1808: (Jefferys Tour): small but most excellent inn, kept by Long. from Carlisle
1811: Thomas Long, Liverpool Coffee House, Peel town (Holden's Directory)
1811 : Wood's tour: [In Peel ] is an excellent but very small inn, kept by Mr. Long from Cumberland.
Mathieson states:
"At the end of the eighteenth century this hotel, not to be confused with the one of the same name in Douglas — was probably the principal one in Peel.
Not only is the position of the Liverpool Coffee House uncertain; its character also is in dispute. Col. Townley, when he visited it, found the hostess sour-tempered and the catering arrangements unusual. The food offered, he records, was ‘chickens or nothing, and even these running about in the yard to be chased into tenderness. ‘ When they came to the table they were uneatable, and had it not been for a large plum-pudding he and his companion would have left the table with empty stomachs.
Against this must be set the words of a writer in the Universal Magazine for 1784, who says, ‘In truth I do not remember ever being at an inn where so great pains were taken to please.’
"Robert Grant opened his Liverpool Coffee House in the year 1820. see note on Caledonian";
however a court case involving a theft from Mr Grant's hotel Peel was tried in January 1820 so he may have opened it a little earlier ?
Lord Nelson
"Opened in 1806 (5. April. 1806 Manx Advertiser ) by G. Sutherland ‘in the house formerly occupied by Mr. McGuffog’ though where this was is not stated. It appears to have prospered, for two years later he added a ballroom to it. In 1813 it was advertised as being ‘to let, ‘ and after that no further mention of it has been found. A Mr. Sutherland kept a coffee-room on Douglas Quay in 1802, and this may have been the same man."
Anthony McGuffog held a licence 1802-1804 (Manx Advertiser 15 Dec 1804 carries notice for sale of lease of large Dwelling House known as Parr's old house by Anthony McGuffog) - there is a Anthony McGuffog buried in Braddan (MI gives died 13th day February 1810 aged 66 years ) along with a putative son Martin (age 17 bur 26 Oct 1824), his son Robert McGuffog prospered as Collector of Customs for Douglas before his death (bur 6 Jan 1848) age 59 (MI gives died 30th of Dec 1847 aged 59 years - his wife was Margaret Kerr associated with Douglas Soup Kitchen) . There is a Jessie McGuffog noted in the 1814 Peel Census, however there are no marriages/baptisms noted in the IGI (family Presbyterian or Roman Catholic ?). George Sutherland is noted as holding a licence in 1806 but does not appear in the 1814 Peel Census so it would appear he had removed by then
1811: George Sutherland (Nelson's Arms)
1812: Manx Advertiser (22 Feb) George Sutherland, Lord Nelson Hotel — opposite barrack gate.
The Barracks, according to Palmer (Peel One) corresponded to two cottages set well back from Shore Road between College Street and Crown street where a cul-de-sac Barrack Lane (or Boyde's Lane) emerged (site of Barracks now approximately where the new IRIS sewage pumping station is). The Peel Barracks were it seemed built very late in the Napoleonic wars and declared redundant (and sold off) shortly afterwards - they were it seems to the north of Munn's corner and thus a back entrance could come out to the top of Crown street.. Corris's map of 1784 shows a large building and ground close to where Angus Munn built, pre 1807, a double fronted house on Crown St and another abutting it on side facing the sea (thus the corner became known as Munn's corner) - Angus Munn also held a public house licence from at least 1800-1806 The Barracks (and there seems some question as to their position) would appear to be at the rear of these houses with the parade ground in an open space north of the Mathematical School (later used as a shipyard). The 1848 plan of Peel shows the Caledonian hotel on Barrack lane opposite what is probably the one-time barracks..
Manchester Arms
Castle St
1852: Ellinor Cottier, Big st
? now Central (qv)
Manx Arms or 'Legs of Man'
Douglas St — now Whitehouse (qv)
1837 Thomas Crellin, Douglas St - un-named tavern
1841c Thomas Crellin 50, wife Dinah, daughter Mary Ann , ?son John, son William and father Mathias
1851c: Dinah Crellin, widow aged 61, Mary Ann age 24 , William age 17 and grand-daughter Dinah Mason age 9
1852 Daniel Crellin, Douglas st (sic Dinah Crellin )- un-named tavern
1857 Thos Corlett .
1861: Thomas Corlett
1863: John Corlett
Thomas Crellin was a Waterguard (Coastguard) in Ireland (son William born 25 Dec 1833 at Analong Co Down and daughter. Dinah Armstrong (born England). Thomas bur 4 May 1845 aged 54, Mathias 17 March 1851 aged 86, William emigrated to Australia in 1855. Goodwin notes "there was a Crellin 'Mat Moar' (big Mat) who kept in the forties of last century a public house in Douglas Street, Peel (now Corletts)."
16. 6.1847 Mona’s Herald
"An hotel once well known in Peel was the MARINE. Originally the town house of Sir George Moore, S.H.K. (1709-1787), it stood on the site now occupied by the block of shops at the corner of Castle Street and Crown Street."
Was probably the one used as a residence by Bishop Richmond in 1772 during the extensive repairs made to Bishopscourt at that time.
pre 1890 Marine Hotel, Peel

Originally opened as Commercial in 1824 (qv) but about 1841 a Mr. Pitchford opened it as the MARINE, under which name it continued until it was destroyed by fire in 1885 .

Marine Hotel, Peel

The present Marine Hotel, standing on a nearby corner, was built in or about 1890 by Joseph Mylchreest, celebrated as ‘the Diamond King’. This building designed by W .J. Rennison was a modification/rebuild of an existing building, Cleveland House, and some adjacent cottages.

1847: (Manx Liberal 11 June) E. H. Frissell moved from Peel Castle to Marine
1851c:Edward Frissell, innkeeper, Castle Street
1852: Edward H Frissel, Quay street
1857: Edward H Frissel
1861: H. Branthwaite
1863: Rd Wm Brathwaite
pre 1881: for many years carried on by the late Mrs Greaves
1881c: Jane Clark, widow age 32 born England
1882: Mrs Clark late of the Foxdale Inn, Foxdale
1884: John V. Foy
..note gap until new hotel built (adjacent site) Opened in 1891 with W.F. Marsden from the Peveril
1894: William F Marsden
1843 Solomon Pitchforth (Pigot and Slater’s Directory).
(suspect this is the Marine (qv) — Solomon Pitchforth came from the Mitre in Kirk Michael)
Church St
1857 John Kinley (near the Quay).
1861: John Kinley
Mona's Isle
1834. ? Manx Arms
New Inn
In 1815 (4. 7.1816 I.oM. Gazette ) T. Long, of the Liverpool Coffee-house, Douglas, handed it over to H. Roberts and returned to Peel, (see Liverpool Coffee House)
Back in Peel he opened, on 22nd April, 1816, the New Inn, in a house which had been the residence of Dr. Thomas - a Robert Thomas is shown as briefly holding a licence in 1835 for Peel Castle - ? is the New Inn actually Peel Castle.
In 1818 Long died, leaving the New Inn to be carried on by his widow. In a few months, however, she disposed of it to a certain Capt. W. Norris, who combined the duties of an innkeeper with those of commanding the cutter "Charlotte’ which sailed regularly between Peel and the Irish port of Ardglass.[see Goodwin]
William Norris is noted as holding a licence in 1820 but is not in 1823 list.
"In June 1821 Norris, while retaining the name of his inn removed it to a house of whose location nothing is known beyond the fact that he described it as commanding a beautiful prospect of the Bay and Castle.
In 1824 (after the death of Norris ?) it appears to have become Robt. McKinley’s Commercial Inn (later White Lion and Commercial), and, if this was the case would be the building (now Green’s fish-shop in Bridge Street [corner of Bridge Street & Shore Road]) which is mentioned regularly as the White Lion between 1862 (Leech) and 1885 (L.)."
The item in Manx Sun 15 June 1824 "states in house lately occupied by Mrs Norris".
I think Mathieson is confused in that the Commercial, White Lion and Commercial and Marine are same place with the White Lion (qv) a later and different house some considerable distance away.
Oddfellows' Arms
Creek Inn, Peel
Quay — Oddfellow's presumably refers to the Benefit Society and was a popular name for pubs from the 1840s onwards. Think this was also the Coach and Horses (qv) from 1857. John Teare is first noted as holding licence in 1850 (when held a wine licence)
1852: John Teare
1884: John Taylor [? printer's error]
1889: John Teare
1894: John Teare
In 1907 re-named as The Railway which name it held until around 1964. Now The Creek Inn
Old Inn
1852 Jefferson’s Directory.
Peel Castle
Peel Castle Hotel
Market Place
"The PEEL CASTLE was open at least as early as 1836, when Welch visited it. It was kept, he says, by ‘a very blooming widow, Mrs. Thomas’ ; and was a very comfortable house, where the charges were moderate and the cooking excellent. The present building is not the one in which he stayed. That was pulled down, and a new one — the one still standing — was opened in October 1845."
Lists of Peel Licensees would suggest that Robert Grant had moved to Peel Castle by the 1830s - his last entry for 1834 (his son Benjamin is buried in Douglas late 1833) and was the only licensee holding a wine licence. In 1835 Robert Thomas is shown as holding a wine licence, his widow appears in 1837, she re-marries Edward Frissell who appears in in the 1840 list - it is likely that Robert Thomas is a son of Dr Thomas whose house it might have been.
As to the rebuild, Frisell moved in 1847 to the Marine (qv); directories do not show the Peel Castle in 1852 thus suggesting a rebuild around this period - it seems rather strange for Frissell to rebuild then immediately move out.
1837: Margaret Thomas (and livery stable keeper and bathing house proprietor) Market place (Pigot's Directory — only Hotel noted in Peel)
1841: Edward Frizelle (Quiggin's Guide — principal hotel)
1843: Edward Frissell (moved 1847 to Marine)
1851c - A Charles Brock (English born) is shown as innkeeper in Market Place - in 1850 a John Brock is noted as holding a PH licence (inc wine) - not in 1846 list nor in 1852 list
1852 --- no mention
1857: Amelia Johnstone
1861: Margt Crelley
1863: Margaret Crelley
1876: William Kelly (late of Ballacraine) (Brown's Guidebook)
1881c William Kelly (born German)
1882: William Kelly (late of Ballacraine Hotel) — stable & yard accommodation for 40 horses and vehicles.
1889: Wm Kelly
1894 Mrs W. Kelly

Peveril Public House, Peel

"The PEVERIL, probably built about 1730, was the home of Captain George Savage, chief Customs officer of the town and, from 1794 until 1802, High-Bailiff It became an inn sometime after 1817" - advertised to be let in Manx Sun 13 Feb 1802.
Mathieson also says "I think it very probable that it was the building in which the Liverpool Coffee House moved to (see Caledonian.)

name first appeared c. 1857, probably based on Scott's novel Peveril of the Peak which brought tourists to Peel to see the castle (see also Fenella Hotel named after heroine in same book)
1850 lic list William Clarke
1857: William Clarke, Quay st
1861: William Clarke
1863: Margaret Clark
1881c : William F Marsden (age 35 born England) + wife Mary (6 yr dau born Douglas, 4 year old born Peel)
1884: William F Marsden
1889: Wm Frederick Marsden (moved to Marine (II) in 1891
1894 Cornelius Kay
originally Oddfellow's (qv)
Railway Refreshment Rooms
Railway Station opened 1873 — and was rebuilt in 1907/8 following a fire, possibly this triggered the change of name of Oddfellow's to The Railway
1882: H. McGlashen (1881c: 23 Glenfaba Rd — Henry McGlashen age 34 born Douglas + English born wife Charlotte, age 39 — it is probable that his father and brothers were living two doors away — if so then the family had moved to Peel in his youth)
1884: A.A. Baker (also ran Ramsey)
1889: James Caley
1894: James Caley
Royal Hotel, Peel
Atholl St was a coaching inn built c.1850s, (the double doors once led to a courtyard), the ground on the opposite side of street (now the bus station/garage built c.1947 on site of old coach house) was where the coaches stabled. Cubbon states that in 1871 John Moffat bought it for £375 from John and Isobel Gell of Port Erin. Also according to Cubbon John Moffat passed it on to son James who leased it to one of the Island breweries whilst he and wife lived on Merseyside.
The front has been altered somewhat, partly by the removal of the iron balconies and by breaking up what was once the top floor dining room french windows which led onto a balcony as well as the separation of the left hand side from its twin.
1857 lic list John Moffat
1861: John Moffat
1863: John Moffat
1881c John Moffat (age 43, born Ireland)
1884: John Moffat
1889: John Moffat
1890: Edmund Miller (in application for licence to Peel Licensing court noted as first application
1894: Mrs Sarah Ann Miller
Royal Oak
Castle St - name first appears c.1851
"was in a large house at the Harbour end of Castle Street, almost opposite the Public Library. Of the two three-storeyed houses, with somewhat lower ones to right and left of them, the Royal Oak is said to have been the one on the right as looked at from the Library entrance. Last mentioned as an inn in 1883 it later became an Alms-house while the very extensive cellars which run beneath it and its neighbours were used as a laundry".
It was actually be better described as an "Old People's Home" and was known from 1907 until closure as the Dale Home ( its change of use was a mechanism to allow the Ward public library to be built)
In 1881 census would appear to be 15 Castle Street though by 1907 it was No. 29
1851: John Andrew (age 33 born German) + wife Mary Ann - judging from age/birth place of children was in Peel from c.1847
1852: John Andrew
1857: John Andrew
1861: Jno Andrew
1863: Jno Andrew
1881c: Patrick Fisher (age 37 born Ireland) + wife Catharine (born Ramsey)
1882: Patrick Fisher
1884: Patrick Fisher
1892: Bought by Samuel Dale
Sheffield Arms
Douglas St - Manx Arms (qv) now Whitehouse
1857 : Ellen Crellin,
Taubman's Hotel
1841c Ceasar Taubman (died aged 43 in 1850) innkeeper Sand Street - this I assume is today's Crown Street thus placing the hotel on corner of Castle and Crown streets
1843: Caesar Taubman
1851c: Amelia Taubman, innkeeper, widow age 36 from Ireland - from position would appear to be site now occupied by Ward Library
Last mention 1854 Jefferson’s Directory. Caesar Taubman is first noted as holding licence in 1842 - he died 1850 aged 43.
Watch House
The WATCH HOUSE was near where the Customs House now is [corner of Crown Street and Quay opposite Peveril]. It was kept by Tom Corkan, who was likewise the Harbour-master, and was used as an office by the tidewaiters (Mannin, No. 6, p. 320). This could possibly be the same as Winters or slightly further into Crown Street.
White House
Peel - Whitehouse pub
Douglas Street
Formerly Manx Arms (qv). Possibly originally a Farm House (?Cottage, Cubbon states that the farm house was adjacent (demolished and site reused), the 1869 O/S plan shows a large house set back from the road built along the old building line corresponding to the pre-1750 Douglas road (now Rheast Lane), the Whitehouse stands out from this old building line, approximately where the old road would have been before the 1750 direct road was built. The pub was much extended at rear during the 1930s. It is quite possible that the house was built as a pub as would be situated at the entry to the town along the main Douglas Road; certainly it dates post 1750 and was a pub by 1837. The current building shows no indication of ever being thatched (i.e. no slates proud in the chimneys) - possibly dating from the early 19th century ?.
According to Cubbon the name arose from the one-time (18th century) owners of the farm — the White's. However no landlord of this name can be found; however the adjacent house would appear to be known as John White's (or Billy White's) in 1874. The name however most likely relates to the common Manx custom of whitewashing the rendering on buildings.
In 1881 census a Jane Corlett,widow aged 73 (from Ballaugh) is shown as publican with unmarried daughter Jane and grandson John C. Corlett at 7 Tynwald Road (continuation of Douglas Street). This name would tie into the noted landlords for the Manx Arms (qv).
1890: Jane Corlett in application for renewal of licence - no name given for pub except noted 'Douglas St'.
White Lion and Commercial
Noted 18. June 1825 Manx Sun see New Inn. Mathieson states Bridge Street and probably second site of New Inn (qv) - however I think he is wrong.
1823: M'Kinley Robert, White Lion Hotel. and Commercial Inn, nr. the Pier - Bridge st and Pier are not close and the address better fits the Marine
McKinley has a 'private' licence in 1820 (think these were for shops) - a public house licence (including wine - 1 of just 4 such establishments) in 1823
White Lion
Bridge St
Basil Mylrea was first noted in 1830 list of licensees, in which described as a new house - the 1869 OS map shows an Inn (all others are either marked PH or Hotel) at the top end of Bridge Street set behind Christian St. A hand drawn plan of Peel dated 1848 (now in Leece Museum) marks 'White Lion' at this point. The 1864 valuation list shows Mylrea owning and occupying the first house and renting a yard a few houses down - with two houses in course of erection on what might have been the yard. Later Peel Rate Books indicate address as 4 Bridge street
1837: Basil Mylrea, Bridge st (un-named Tavern)
1843: Basil Mylrea, Bridge st (un-named)
1852: Basil Mylrea, Bridge st (un-named)
1857: Basil Mylrea, (White Lion), Bridge st
1861: Bazil Mylrea (White Lion) Bridge st
1863: Basil Mylrea, White Lion, Bridge street
1884: John Quayle, White Lion, Bridge street
"The Custom House and Harbour Office were built about 1863 on the site of an old public-house known as 'Whinter's' (a nickname). The writer [ie N Mathieson in 1950s] was told that this house had a window with some stained glass that had been taken out of the Cathedral. About one hundred years ago [i.e. c.1815] this public-house was kept by an old woman who wore a beard and dressed in semi-masculine attire."(Mannin, No. 6, p. 320). An Eleanor Peate, widow of William Peate chief boatman of Peel (d. 1790) was noted as holding a public house licence from 1792 to 1806; she died in 1809. Corris's plan of 1784 shows a small building on this corner which position would suit well for a boatman and then a pub.

As yet unidentified houses

Palmer (? quoting earlier Peel City Guardian articles) states that the just around from Raglan House (home of Robert Corrin and built 1830/40) in what is now Beach St was a pub owned by Billy Moore (he also attributes same site to Bella Morrison - a John Morrison was noted as running a tavern from 1837 to 1863) though the 1869 O/S plan does not show it as a Public House, the various addresses are consistent with this location


1788: Presentments Henry Clucas, and James Crain publichouse keeper for having fiddling and dancing in their houses on Ash Wednesday last


Pigot noted following Inns and Taverns (Big St = Castle Street)

Cain Thomas,
Cain William, Big St (according to Goodwin this was a tavern held in a now demolished house approximately opposite the Central)
Clucas Catherine, Market place
Clucas Catherine, Patrick St
Clucas Mary, Market st
Corken Thomas, Quay (most likely Watch House)
Corlet Thomas, Strand
Cottier John, Michael st
Cottier John, Market st
Cowley Thomas, Big st
Crellin Hugh, Quay
Cubbon Thomas (& keeper of horses and gigs for hire) Big street (Royal Oak - see comment in Old Peel II)
Garratt Thomas, Market place - in 1841c Thomas Garrett age 91 (?) publican Beach Street
Greggor George, Strand
Holmes John, Big st (based on Goodwin this is likely to have been what is now the larger part of the Central)
Kaig Thomas, Michael st
Kermode Paul, Big St
Kewin Ann, Big st (8 Castle Street - small tavern two doors down from Central towards Market Place)
Morrison John, Strand
Oates Ann, Douglas St
Quilliam Jane, Michael st
Shimmin Daniel, Strand

1841 census

Crellin, Thomas (age 50) publican Douglas St ( ? Manx Arms)
Garret, Thomas (age 91) publican Beach St
Kewin, Ann (age 55) publican Big Street
Mylrea, Bassil (age 40) publican Bridge St (White Lion)
Oates, Ann (age 30) publican Douglas St
Quilliam, Jane (age 60) publican Kirk Michael St
Tarbet, Catharine (age 60) publican Douglas St
Taubman, Caesar (age 30) innkeeper Sand St (? Taubman's Hotel )

1843 Un-named

Cain, William Big st (demolished tavern - see 1837)
Corken, Widow, Quay (? Watch House)
Crellin Thomas, Market st ( ? Manx Arms - Douglas St)
Cubbon Thomas (and keeper of of horses and gigs for hire) Big st (? Royal Oak)
Garrat Catharine, Market place
Gell Thomas, Strand
Kewin Ann, Big st (8 Castle St)
Morrison John, Strand
Oates Ann, Douglas st
Quilliam Jane, Michael st
Tarbet Catharine, Douglas st

1851 census

Andrews, John 27 Inn Keeper Church Street, born England
Brock, Charles 37 Inn Keeper Market Place, born England (? Peel Castle)
Cottier, Jane 32 Inn Keeper Church St, born . Marown
Crellin Dinah 61 (w) innkeeper Douglas St., born England ( ? Manx Arms)
Dodd Robert 51 innkeeper Marine road , born Scotland
Frissell Edward H 37 (w) innkeeper Castle St., born Peel (Marine)
Garrett Catherine 84 (w) innkeeper Market St., born Peel
Gell Henry 27 innkeeper Upper Quay lane, born German
Morrison John 50 innkeeper Marine road, born Peel
Mylrea Basil 58 innkeeper Bridge St, born German
Quilliam Jane 73 (w) innkeeper Michael st, born German
Taubman Amelia 36 (w) innkeeper Castle St, born . Ireland (? Taubman's Hotel )

1852 un-named

Clarke, William, Big st
Clucas William, Quay
Collister, John, Bridge st
Corkill, Thomas, Big st [? Corkan and Crown]
Dodd, Robert, Strand
Garrett, William, Market st
Gell. Henry, Mill st
Kewin, Ann, Big st (8 Castle St)
Morrison John, Bridge st
Quilliam, James, Michael st
Regan, Robert, Market st

1857 un-named

Callister, James, Market st
Callister, William, Patrick st
Corkan, Thomas, Big st (Crown)
Crellin, William Michael st
Dodd, Robert, Shore Rd (in 1851 Robert Dodd age 51 born Scotland - would appear to be on corner with Crown St)
Fayle, Robert, Shore Rd
Garrett, Margaret, Market st
Kelly, Elizabeth, near the Quay
Kewin, Ann, Big st (8 Castle St)
Morrison, John, Bridge st

1861 (Leech) un-named

Quilliam Thomas, Church st ( Crown )
Dodd Robert, Marina rd
Kewin Ann, Church st (8 Castle St)
M’Cormick Wm., Church st (? Central) (in 1851c Ann McCormick, widow, age 45 was running a grocer's shop at this address) - in 1869 Manorial Roll Wm McCormick noted as entered Oct 1860
Morrison John, Marina rd

1863 Thwaites un-named

Cannell Charles, Cottier's lane (a small PH is shown 2nd building on the left in this small cross lane between Market St and Castle St)
Kewin Thomas, Castle street (8 Castle St - son of Ann)
Kinley John, Castle street
McCormic William, Castle street (Central)
Morrison John, Shore road
Quilliam Thomas, Castle street (Crown)

1869 O/S Plan of Peel (Sheet IX.2)

Castle Street shows 6 Public Houses (marked PH) as well as Hotel at corner with Crown street, working from Market Place - names correspond to those used above and not necessarily those, if any, of the time.

  1. lh side - Crown
  2. rh side opp Crown - unidentified - referred to by Goodwin as Kewin's
  3. rh side - Central
  4. lh side - Royal Oak
  5. rh side (site of Ward Library) - unidentified (? Taubman's)
  6. lh side corner with Crown Street - Peveril
  7. rh side corner with Crown Street - Marine Hotel (I)

In a reported comment in support of a reduction in town rates  (Peel City Guardian 1889) it was stated that 'some years ago three more hotels then are now'.

1881 Census

(the numbering of Castle St in the census appears rather strange)
17 Castle St — Ann Kinley barmaid, unmarried age 44 living with 2 unmarried sisters, all from Rushen) — if street numbered up one side and then down other corresponds to what is now Ward Library which was shown as PH on 1869 O/S map however Court House, un-numbered, shown as next) - query is related to John Kinley of 1863) - in 1881c: Royal Oak is shown as #15
28 Castle St Elizabeth McCormick, widow age 50, Publican & Farmer Farms 42 ac. (Employing 3 men)
29 Castle St Caesar J Cain, Ship Carpenter & Publican, age 49 born Peel (note in 1906 No. 29 was the erstwhile Royal Oak.
One possibility is that 28 and 29 were the two 3-storey houses; 29 being the Royal Oak whilst 28 being a yet unidentified pub leaving No. 17 (and later 12/14) to be the Central

1884 un-named

Kinley Mrs. A., publican, Castle street

1889 un-named

Cain Cæsar John, Castle st ) (? Royal Oak)
Taylor Ann Ellen,12 and 14 Castle st (? Central)

1894 un-named

Cain Caesar John, Castle-street (? Royal Oak)
Taylor Ann Ellen, 12 Castle-street (? Central)



The dates shown indicate the directory, 1881c = 1881 census etc

The 3 book's by Palmer (see Peel index page) provide anecdotal evidence though they seem to draw on the same sources as Goodwin's article in (Mannin, No. 6, p. 320) (presumably reminisces in the Peel City Guardian of the early 1900s).
S Cubbon Manx Inns draws uncritically (and in most places merely copies) Palmer or Mathieson.

M Crellin A Serenditious Search Peel Heritage Trust Newsletter #23 Autumn 2001 - has article on Thomas Crellin of 'Legs of Man'

George Goodwin Old Peel II

  Pubs Index



Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001