Like the UK the Island reacted to the loss of many of its men by erecting memorials to the war dead of World War 1 - something like one in 8 combatants had died; for most no recoverable body existed to allow the usual grieving process which probably explains the outpouring of grief and the focus that these memorials allowed for the community. These memorials were generally unveiled from 1920 onwards - the Manx Quarterly carried extensive reports. Most were associated with the various parish churches and took many forms from crosses (usually Celtic) to wall tablets. Other memorials ranged from stained glass windows to illuminated books. A Knox was responsible for the lettering on several of the memorials.
A full list (as of 2002) is available.
see also Reports (Manx Quarterly #27 & #29)
(see WW1 war dead)