[From Slater's Directory, 1857]



PEEL is a small sea-port, in the parish of German, 16 miles from Ramsey, 12 N. of Castletown, 11 N.W. of Douglas, and seven w. by S.from Kirk-Michael; situate nearly in the centre of the western coast of the island. The town, which is composed of five irregular streets and some lanes, is chiefly remarkable for the ruins of its castle and cathedral, which stand on a small islet of rock, about three hundred yards from the town: the walls are flanked with towers, and inclose an area of about two acres, now converted into a sheep-walk; it is supposed to be of higher antiquity than even Castle Rushen and in it some of the early kings of Scotland are said to have received their education; a strong stone wall connects the castle with the main land, Before the purchase of the royalty of Man this fortress was garrisoned by troops in the pay of the proprietor of the island; and the natives have a tradition that a black dog, called in their language 'Moddey Doo' used to present himself every night before the fire to the consternation of the guard; on this old tradition Sir Walter Scott has founded his allusion in the 'Lay of the last Minstrel,’ to the 'spectre hound of Man.’ (The appearance of the castle from the south shore, is faithfully displayed in the vignette, on the map of the island, which accompanies this work.)

The cathedral of St. Germain was-erected about the year 1245, and the remaining arches of the transept sufficiently, testify Its former magnificence. This Islet likewise contains the ruins of a church dedicated to St. Patrick, besides the fragments of other structures. In June, 1844; was found the brass-plate, lost or stolen about fifty years ago, from the tomb of Bishop Rutter, who was buried in the cathedral in Peel.Castle, in 1662. It was discovered, by some boys in the well near the sally-port of that ancient structure, the water being then very shallow. This venerable relic is in a good state of preservation, and the engraving very perfect.

The places of worship are the parish church, and chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. The Church, which stands in the western part of the town, and is dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1816; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the bishop. The educational establishments are few but most efficient, particularly the superior establishment for young ladies called the Raggatt, about half a mile from Peel, conducted by Miss Dove. Its situation is remarkably pleasant and salubrious, having the advantage of well laid out gardens and play grounds. The grammar-school of Peel was endowed so early as 1746, and the mathematical school was founded in 1763, and rebuilt in 1846; there is, also, another seminary, supported by funds bequeathed by Philip Christian, in 1654,for educational purposes, which was rebuilt in 1844, and since conducted on the national system. The Marine Hotel, near the Quay, is a comfortable inn.

The port has the convenience of a good quay, erected in 1810 with a light-house at its extremity; and a jetty of substantial masonry was constructed in 1830, by the commissioners of the harbour, as a protection from the heavy swell of the Irish sea. The herring fishery may be considered the staple of Peel; there are, however, several other branches of some consequence, as ship and boat-building, brewing, tanning, sail-making &c., and a branch of the Bank of Mona is established here. The town is supplied with gas from works erected near the quay. The neighbourhood of Peel is very pleasant, and contains many respectable family mansions, some surrounded by fine timber. Parties of pleasure to the mountain-torrent fall of Glenmoij , three miles to the south-west, are frequent, particularly on the arrival of visiters to this part of the Isle. The rocks along the southern shore are in some places hollowed into caves by the incessant operations of the sea; and on the northern strand agates and comnelians, fit for seals and brooches, are occasionally found, A weekly market is held on Saturday, and an annual fair for cattle on the 28th of March. Population in 1841 2.133, and in 1851, 2,329.


GERMAN parish is situate in the sheading of Glanfaba, on the western and southern coast of the island; it extends about four miles and a half from north to south, and three and a half from east to west; the surface is much diversified with hills and valleys, the latter very fertile and productive. An annual fair for cattle was formerly held at GREEBA in this parish, on the 2nd of Feb, but is now held at Marown. Population of the Parish in 1841 4,029 and in 1851 4,497.

ST. JOHN's is a small village, three miles east and seven west of Douglas, consisting of a few houses skirting the spacious green on which stands Tynwald Mount, whence every law is promulgated to the people. The form of the mound is circular, it is about eighteen feet in height, and appears like-three platforms of earth placed one above another, the uppermost being attained by a flight of steps cut in the turf on the east side. The places of worship are St. John's church situated on the border of the green, and a Wesleyan chapel at its western end. Fairs are annually held here, for cattle, on the 17th of March, 1st May, 5th of July, and 1st of November. Population included with the parish

POST OFFICE, Douglas-street, PEEL., John Morrison., Post Master -Letters from all parts arrive (from Douglas) every evening about half past eight, and are despatched thereto every morning at six (Sunday's excepted).

Money Order Office open from eight in the morning till six in the evening.


Atkinson Mrs. Ann Eliza, Hinton Tower
Blackett Mr: William W, Hinton Turret
Burns Mr: Henry W. Marina road
Cain Mrs Esther, Hope hill
Cannell Mr. Hugh, St. John's
Carran Miss Ann, Michael st
Corlett Mrs. Elizabeth, Douglas st
Cottier Mr. John, Michael st
Cottier Mr. John, Knocksherry and Ballaquane Cottage
Dale Mrs. Ann,Northop
Dodd Mr. William, Holm-side Cottage
Emerson Arbuthnot, Esq. Stanley Mount
Fothergill Miss Catherine, 6 Peveril terrace
Garde Rev. John Fry, St. John's
Gavin Mr. Peter, Douglas road
Gell John,Esq. C.P.& M.H.K .Kenna
Harrison Wm: Esq.M.H.K. Rockmount
Harrison Mr. William, Ballachrink
Hind Mr. Jas. Delouze, Ballachrink
Hinton Mr. Edward Hinton Turret
Hinton Mrs: Eleanor,Hinton Turret
Houghton Mrs.. Harriet Sophia 5 Peveril terrace
Hutchinson Mrs. Eliza, Marina road
Karran Mr, Thomas. Strand
Lewis Rev. Matthew, Michael st
Matthews Frank,.Esq. M.H.K. Glyn-moore ,
Meggat Mr.Thomas, Fairy cottage
Moore Robert John, Esq. J.P. & M.H.K. (high bailiff, Michael st
Muter Mr. James, Kerrowglass
Quirk Mrs Mary, Ballavarkish
Shimmin Mrs. Elizabeth, Peveril House
Southey Capt. H. C., Glenfaba house
Stowell Rev, John La Mothe; Vicarage Michael st
Threlfall Mr. John, Laurel Bank


Cain Jane, Patrick st
Dove Miss Hester (boarding), the Raggatts (see advertisement)
Gawne John, back of Douglas st
GRAMMAR SCHOOL - John Gawne master
Kneele Margaret, Mill st
MATHEMATICAL SCHOOL - ,Market st - William Lewin master
NATATIONAL SCHOOL ,Michael st-William Cowley master
NATATIONAL SCHOOL Cronk-y-Voddy, - Martin, master
PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, Saint John's-Samuel S. Martyn, master ; Ann Martyn, mistress


Clague William, Kirk German
Harrison John C.T. (& notary),Big st
Kelly John (and notary), Hope hill
Moore Robert John, M. H. K. (high bailiff and registrar of marriages), Michael st


Callister Elizabeth, Shore road
Clarke William, Quay st
Fayle William,Shore road
Thompson Eliza, Big st
Watterson Thomas, Michael St


BANK OF MONA (Branch), -Michael street--(draws on Prescott, Grote, & Co., London )-Robert John Moore, agent


Bell James, St. John's
Christian Enos, Knocksharry
Clague William, Poortown
Gell Thomas, Greeba
Kannaugh Thomas, St. John's
Kelly Henry. Mill st
Quayle William, Market st
Quayle William T. Michael st
Watterson Thomas, Mill st


Graves Henry (and ship and block maker), Patrick st
Meyrick William, Quay
Quiggan William & Robert, Quay
Shierd Daniel(& block maker),Quay


Cain William, Patrick st
Corkill Peter, Bridge st
Corlett William, Michael st
Cowell,Joseph, Big St
Cowley William, St. John's
Fargher Robert (and leather seller), Michael st
Fayle John. Market st
Garrett William, Market st
Quirk Ann, St. John's
Radcliffe Charles, Ballacrane


Bailey Edward, Market St
Cottier John, Michael st
Lewin Robert. Michael st
M'Cormick Ann, Big st


Carran;Thomas (and stationer), Douglas st.
Morrison John Douglas st
Woods William Market st


Fayle John, Market st
Joughin John, Michael st


Colvin, Henry, Michael st
Corris Robert, Big st


Crellin Richard, Ballakilley
Moore John ;& wollen manufacturer), Ballaligg


Bell Thomas, Norfolk place
Bissett John, Ballatessen
Boyd William Glyumoar
Cain Charles Ballanhowin
Cain Hugh, Cronk-y-voddy
Cain John, Shergy dhoo;
Cain John, Ballgaer
Cain Thomas, Ballsvinch
Cain William, Skiristell
Cannell John, Skiristell-beg
Cannell Thomas, Skiristell
Carran John, Ballaquane
Christian John, Corvalla
Clark John, Ballawillian.
Clark Thomas, Ballaleece
Collister Edward, Kenna
Collister John, Douglas st
Collister William, Closeaary
Corris Thomas, Brackalroom
Cowin Thomas, Ballamayre
Cowley Jane, Knockbane
Cowley Richard, Knockbane
Crane James, Kerrow-garrow
Creer William, Beary
Crellin Cæsar, Sandhouse
Crellin Cæsar, Knockbreck
Dale Ann, Northop
Faragher John, Rhenney
Faragher Thomas, Kew
Fisher John, Ballakinworry
Garrett Philip, Kew
Garrett Thomas, Corvalla
Garrett William, Ballawoie
Gawne Betsy, Knocksherry
Gell Evan, Wallalough
Gell John, C.P. and M.H.K. Kennaa
Hampton Robert, Kerooglass
Harrison Robert, Ballakilley
Hatch Richard, Mount Morrison
Kagg William, Lhergydhoo
Keighan Charles, Corvalla
Kaighen John, Ballaquine
Kaighin John. Ballakaighin
Kelly James, Ballakaighan
Kelly John Ballacurry
Kelly John, Northop
Kelly Thomas, Ballacrane
Kermode Edward, Ballabooie
Kermode Edward, Lynock
Kermode Robert, White Strand
Kermode Robert, Lhergy dhoo
Killey Philip, Ballalig
Killey John, Lambfell
Killip Ann, Cronk-y-voddy
Killip James, Ballakhigher
Kinley Edward, Knockshary
Kissack John, Ballacross
Matthews Frank, Glyn-moore
Moore John Stevens, Largy-dhoo
Muter James, Karro-ne-glough
Mylchreest Thomas, Ballagar Lghyn
Quay Thomas, Stockfield
Quine John, Lambfell
Quine Thomas, Lambfell
Quirk John. Ballabooi
Quirk Robert, Lambfell
Quirk Thomas, Ballaharra
Sayle Charles, Lambfell
Shimmin Hugh, Rhenney
Threlfall John, Crook-e-Killey
Watterson Mark, Custom House st
Watterson Paul, Ballachrink
Wattleworth Cæsar jno., Ballaquayle
Woods William, Douglas st


EUROPEAN. (Life), -Robert John Moore, Michael st.
LIVERPOOL and LONDON. Thomas Cottier, Market st
NORTHERN,John C. T. Harrison, Big street
ROYAL, John Morrison, Post office
STAR, Robert Higgins Big st


(See also Shopkeepers &cc.)
Cain Mary Jane, Patrick st
Callister Elizabeth , Shore road
Clarke Thomas Michael st
Cottier Margaret; Market st
Higgins Robert, Big st
Joughin John, Michael st
King Thomas, Big st
Kneale John, Michael st
Morrison Charles, Market st
Sheard Daniel, Market st
Thompson Eliza, Big st


Killey Philip, Balialigg
Woods William, Douglas st


Marine Hotel, Edward H., Frissel Quay st
Peel Castle, Amelia Johnstone, Marketplace


Kermode Thomas (and tin-plate worker), Michael st
Kneale John, Michael st


Clark Thomas, Michael st
Callister John, Largy-dhoo
Corlett John (& temperance coffee-house), Michael st
Creer Robert, St. John's
Gell John, Atholl st
Kelley William, Ballacrane
Kelly Thomas, St. John's
Kermode William, Knocksharry
Wattleworth Thomas, Quay


Christian Charles L. Market St
Cottier Thomas (and Silkeman), Market street
Higgins, Joseph (and silk mercer), Big st
Ralston William, Market st


Clark Ann, Custom House st
Clark Thomas, Michael st
Hatch Richard. Mount Morrison
Keown Charlotte, Shore road


Anderson Daniel, Glenfaba Mill
Cain John, Greeba
Faragher Thomas, Glynmoar
McMaster Alexander, Old Mill
Quine William, Glynmoar


Joughin Jane, Michael st
Quirk Christian, Michael st
Taubman Margaret, Michael st
Watterson Elizabeth, Douglas st


Crowe William, Back st
Kermode Thomas, Michael st


Corris John & Cæsar Douglas, st
Cosnahnel -, Douglas st
Gell John, Atholl st
Meyrick William, Michael road
Quayle William, Market st .


Corrin Robert, Factory lane


Kermode Thomas, Mchael st
Quirk Evan (& painter), Market st


Quiggin William & Robert, Quay
Tear John, near the Quay


Garrett John, Douglas st
Killey Charles, Douglas st
Lace William, Michael st


Graves Henry„ Patrick st
Graves Thomas, Patrick st


Blackley David, Shore road
Callister Ann, Shore road
Callister John, Michael st
Clarke Ellen, Big st
Clucas Philip (and parish clerk), Big street
Callister Mary Ann, Big st
Cowley-Eleanor, Market st
Crellin Elizabeth, Market st
Faragher Robert, Market place
Fayle John, Market st
Fayle William, Shore road
Gawne Dorothy, Market place
Kermode Thomas, Michael st
Kinvag Henry, Michael st
Lewin Robert, Michael at
Quayle George., Ballacrane
Quayle Jane, Douglas st
Shimmin John, St. John's
Smith Michael, Patrick st
Watterson Thomas, Michael st


Graves Henry, Patrick st
Graves Thomas, Patrick st


Callister Ann, Shore road
Fayle Betsy, Michael st


Cruickshank Richd.L. 4 Peveril terr
De Bentley Thomas, Big st
Hutchinson Richd. Custom House la


Cain Robert, Michael st
Corris James, St. John's
Crellin Henry (& draper),Michael st
Faragher,James, Michael st
Garrett John, St. John's
Higgins, Robert, Market st
Killey William, Douglas st
Myllcraine Thomas, Strand st


Andrew John (Royal Oak), Big st
Callister James, Market st
Callister William, Patrick st
Clarke William (Peveril, Quay st
Corkan Thonlaa, Big st
Corlett Thos.(Manx Arms), Douglas st
Creer Catherine (Harbour), Quay st
Crellin Ellen (Shefield Arms), Douglas street
Crellin William Michael st
Curphey Thomas N. (Coach and Horses), Quay
Dodd Robert; shore road
Fayle Robert, Shore road
Garrett Margaret Market st
Gill Thomas; Greeba
Kelly Elizabeth, near the Quay
Kelly Phillip, Knockshary
Kelly Thomas, Ballacrane
Kelly Thos.(Tynwald Hill),St.John's
Kewin Ann, Big st
Kinley John (Mona), near the Quay
Morrison John, Bridge st
Mylchreest Elizabeth (Hawthorn), Greeba
Mylrea Bazil (White Lion),Bridge st
Pipes -, Glentobar


Graves Henry, Patrick st
Quiggin William & Robert, Quay


Dawson John, Big st
Kermode Thomas, Michael st


Briney John, Strand st
Graves Henry (and block maker), Patrick st
Shierd Daniel, Quay st


Moore John (& dyer), Ballaligg
Vick Robert, Ballakilley


Cannell James, hatter, Michael st
Clarke Ann, brewer, Custom-House lane
Clucas Joseph, watch, &c. maker, Big st
Carris john & Caesar, curriers & leather cutters, Atholl st
Cowley Richard, coroner, Knockbane
Hatch Richd. millwright,Mount Morrison
Keown Robert, enmoer, Douglas st
Kerruish Robt. harbour master, Douglas st
Laurence Joseph, hair dresser. Big st
Quirk Evan, painter, Douglas st
Wattleworth John, earthenware dealer, Shore street


SAINT PETER'S CHURCH, Marketplace, -Rev. John La Mothe Stowell, B.A.
SAINT JOHN'S CHAPEL, Saint John's-Rev. John Fry Garde
CHAPEL OF EASE, Cronk-e-Voddy
METHODIST(Wesleyan) CHAPEL, Atholl st - Rev William Sherman
METHODIST(Wesleyan) CHAPELS: Greeba, St John's, Whitestrand and Lamfell
METHODIST(Primitive ), Michael street, Knocksharry

Principal Coastal Officer &c, -Mr. Leslie Lockhart
Tide Waiters and Boatmen-John Cowley. and John J. Corlett
Harbour Master- Robert Kerruish

CEMETRY,Douglas road
GAS WORKS, Quay-John Wightman, manager; Thomas King, secretary
POLICE OFFICE, Quay st-James Coole, chief-constable
POWDER MAGAZINE, Peel Castle-John Paulin, bombadier
HIGH BAILIFF'S OFFICE, Michael st-Robert John Moore, high bailiff and registrar of mariages


To DOUGLAS, a Coach, from the Marine Holel, every morning at nine, and one from the Marketplace, every afternoon at four.

To RAMSEY,a Coach. from the Marine Hotel, every afternoon at four in summer, and Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in winter.


To DOUGLAS, William Morrison, Saml. Moore, and William Kennedy, daily


To CHESTER,the Punch and the Ruby occasionally.
To LIVERPOOL, Regular Traders, as occasion requires, and weather permit.
To WHITEHAVEN, the Patrick, the
Fenella, the Vine, the Betty the Industry, the Shamrock, the Prince of Wales, the Sarah, the Friendship, the St. German, and the Seaford, as occasion may require and the weather permit.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2004