from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of Kirk Marown.

c. 1193 Chart. Olave II of Mann. Eccies, Scti. Runa, Runani, Rune.
1231 Bull Pope Gregory IX. Terra de Kyrke Marona.
1511 Man. Roll. Paroch. Scti. Runi.
1585 Lib. Bangor et Sabal. Kk. Marowney.
1587 Harl. MSS. Kirk Marron.
1605 Dioc. Reg. Eccles. Sti. Roonij.
1648 Blundell. Kk. Maron.
1701 Dioc. Comm. Book Kk. Marroan, MaRunij.
1709 Dioc. Reg. Kk. Marroun, MoRunij.
1712 Dioc. Comm. Book. Eccies. Scti. Runij.
  Manx Skyll Marooney.

The parish of Kirk Marown was dedicated to an Irish Saint concerning whom we find the following entry in the Calendar of Ængus. Under date Feb 7th: Episcopi ronan rigida .i .illiss mor mochuda ata. 'Bishop Ronan the kingly, i.e. in Lismore Mochuda he is'. The prefix ma- or mo- in Marown is simply the Irish honoric prefix ma- which also occursa in Malew.

The patronal fair would be formerly held within the Octave of the saint’s dedication date, February 7th ; but at some time, probably after the Reformation, the fair was transferred to February 2nd, Candlemas, or the Purification of the Virgin Mary, called in Manx : Laa’l Moirrey ny gainle, ‘ Mary’s feast-day of the candles.’ The old fair-ground adjoined the old Kirk Marown churchyard, and was freehold. The patronal fair was transferred to Greeba in 1835, but it has now disappeared.

Kirk Marown is the only parish not washed by the sea. It is bounded on the east by Kirk Braddan, on the south by Kirk Santan, on the west by Kirk Patrick, and on the north by Kirk German. The parish is about five miles long, and averages about three miles in breadth. Its area is 6584.881 acres.

The ancient parish church, now little used, is situated on the Crosby to Malew road, about four miles from Douglas. The modern parish church is on the Douglas to Peel road, about a mile north-east of the old one.

In Kirk Marown is the ancient Barony of St.Trinian’s, or rather, St. Ninian’s ; and the Prior of Whithern in Galloway, who owned this land, was one of the barons of the Isle, was entitled to sit with the king on ceremonial occasions on Tynwald Hill, and probably had to assist the king in various matters of jurisprudence.

The Bishop of Mann, who is now the only Manx baron, also owned an extensive tract of land in this parish from the very earliest times.

The agricultural village of Crosby is situated in this parish on the main road from Douglas to Peel.



Awin ny Darragh [].
‘The river of the oakwood.’ Darragh may have been originally applied to the stream, and mean ‘oak-river’ rather than ‘oakwood’ ; and in that case awin would be a later addition.
Ballabeg [].
Mx. Bailey beg, ‘little farm.’
Ballacallin (mooar & beg), [].
1511 Man. Roll. McAleyn in Treen of Baly-yeman.
1703,, ,, Thom. Callin.
,, ,, ,, Ballacallin.
‘Callin or McAleyn’s farm.’ (Ir. Mac Aileáin).
1643 Man. Roll. Nich. Carran.
1703,, ,, Ballacarran. ‘Carran’s farm.’ (Mac Cearáin). Now Ballingan.
Ballachrink [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacruink.
1703,, ,, John Kermode a Cruink.
‘Hill farm.’ Note the omission of balla when surname is used.
Ballaclucas [].
1511 Man. Roll. John McLucas.
1643 ,, ,, Ballaclucas.
‘Clucas or McLucas’ farm.’ (Ir. Mac Lúcdis).
Ballacotch [].
1643, 1703Man. Roll. Ballacotch.
1757 Dioc. Reg. Ballacotch.
‘Cotch’s farm.’ There was a family named Cotch in German in 1703.
Balladoo [].
‘Black farm.’
Ballafreer [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballafreer.
‘Frere or Freer’s farm.’ A family named Freer were ii. the treen of Alia Gnebe, Kirk German, in 1643-1703.
1703 Man. Roll. Ballagarow.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Ballagarry.
1867 Wood. Ballagarrow.
Mx. Balley garroo, Ir. Baile garbh, ‘rough farm
Ballagraw []
1643 Man. Roll. Ballnacraw.
1703,, ,, Balnagrawe.
1792 Dioc. Reg. Balgraue.
Mx. Bailey ny gro, ‘farm of the nuts,’ v. Mullen-glonagroo. Possibly ‘acorns’ which are called ‘oak nuts’ in Manx.
1643 Man. Roll. Ballaglonna.
1703 Lib. Bangor et Sabal Ballaglonney.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes Balaglona.
Mx. Bailey glionney, ‘glen farm.’ Barony of St. Trinian’
Ballaharry [].
c. 1193 Chart. Olave II of Mann. Balhamer.
1643 Man. Roll. Ballahammy, Ballahomey.
1793 Dioc. Reg. Bal harry.
Balhamer has its modern representative in the peculiarly corrupt quarterland name Ballaharry, and it is probable that it was the older name of the treen which appears in 1515 as Baly-yeman, now Ballavemmy.
Balhamer, along with other lands mentioned, was granted to the Priory of Whithern in Galloway, by Olave II of Mann, c. 1193. The second element is Scand. hamarr, ‘a crag,’ which must have been applied to the rocky slopes of Greeba. Balhamer is therefore a hybrid name meaning ‘the farm of the crag.’ v. Dalhamer and Greeba in Kirk German.
Ballahutchin [].
‘Hutchin’s farm.’ Donald Huchon in treen of Baldall Criste, Kirk Braddan, 1511.
1783 Dioc. Reg. Ballakelly.
1867 Wood.
‘Kelly’s farm,’ Now ‘The Nab.’
Ballakilley [].
1580 Lib. Episc. Ballakilley.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Ballakilly.
‘The farm of, or near, the (Parish) Church.’ Now Ellerslie. Bishop’s Barony.
Ballalough [].
1703 Man. Roll. Ballalough.
 Mx. Bailey logh, ‘lake farm.’ The lake has now disappeared.
Ballamona [].
A modern name. In 1643, 1703,it was Balywolley, q.v.
Ballanicholas, Treen. [].
1511 Man. Roll. Baly Nicholas.
1643 ,, ,, Ballaknickle.
1703 ,, ,, Balla Niclas.
This treen either takes its name from the holder in 1511, Nicholas McGill, or postulates the dedication of a church to St. Nicholas. There are the remains of several churches here. ‘Nicholas’ farm.’
Ballaquinney [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballna Quinney.
1703 ,, ,, Ballaquinney.
1820 Vicar’s Tithes. Ballaquinea.
The Manx surname Quinney seems to be another form of Quine, and this name (McQuyn) is found in the Treen of Sanrebrek—in which the quarterland of Ballaquinney is situated—in 1511 Ir. Mac Cuinn. ‘Quinney’s farm.’
Ballaterson [].
1511 Man. Roll, Balytersyn.
1643 ,, ,, Ballatersin.
Joyce says (in ‘Irish Names of Places’) that tarsna (Mx. tersyn, tessyn) ‘signifies across, i.e. it is applied to anything having a transverse position with respect to something else.’
There are four treens bearing this name in Mann, and it may be doubted if this signification is applicable to any of them. There is another word which possibly explains these names better—Ir. trostan or trosnan, ‘a crutch or staff,’ Sc. G. trasdan or trosdan, ‘a crutch or crosier.’
Reeves (‘Eccles. Antiquities’) derives Ballytrustan, now the name of a parish in Ulster, from this source. He adds : "The rectory of the parish is not rated in the Taxation, because it belonged to the Hospitallers ; in whose possession it continued till the Dissolution ... the ruins of the very ancient church of Ballytrustan stand in the churchyard,about a mile S.E.of Portaferry."
The four treens called Ballaterson all adjoin ecclesiastical lands. That of Kirk Marown adjoins the Barony of St. Trinian’s, that of Kirk German is bounded on the north by the Abbeylands and on the south by the Bishop’s Barony, that of Ballaugh is alongside of the Bishop’s Demesne, and that of Kirk Maughold adjoins the Barony of St. Bees, a small portion of which is still known as the Stãffland. In a papal Bull of 1231 the land of the Staff of St. Patrick is mentioned. A. W. Moore (‘Manx Names’) says : "The service on which these lands were held was probably that of the presentation of a staff or crosier, which the proprietors had to produce for the annual procession on the day of the saint to whom the parish church was dedicated."
Ballavagher [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballavargher.
‘Fargher’s farm.’ v. Ballavagher in Santan.
Ballavitcha1 [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballavitchell.
1703 Lib. Bangor et Sabal.
Bichel Kelly, whose name occurs three times, was a tenant of the Barony of St. Trinian’s in 1607.
The surname Bytchell occurs in the Kirk German abbey lands, not far away, in1611. ‘Bytchell’s farm.’
Ballawilleykilley [].
1820 Vicar’s Tithes. Ballawollykilly.
1867 Wood. Philip Killey.
,, ,, Ballawilley-killey.
‘Killey’s fold-farm.’ Formerly Ballayemmy beg, q.v.
Ballayemmy beg.
v. Ballayemmy and Ballawilleykilley.
Ballayemmy Treen, [].
1511 Man. Roll. Baly-yeman.
1643 ,, ,, Ballayeman, Ballayeaman.
1737 Dioc. Reg. Ballayemman.
The second element represents an obsolete Irish personal name Eamonn, ‘Eamonn’s farm.’ It is found as a surname, McKemayn, in Kirk Patrick in 1515.
v. Ballaharry and Eyreton.
Ballergey [].
1643, 1703 Man. Roll. Ballnalargy.
Mx. Bailey ny liargee, ‘farm of the slope.’
Ballingan [].
For Bailey Keeiil Ingan, ‘Fingan or Finnian's church farm.’ F becomes quiescent in the genitive case. v. Keeill Ingan.
Ballona [].
Mx. Bailey ghlionney, ‘glen farm.’
1643 Man. Roll. Balywoolley.
 Mx. Bailey woaiilee, ‘fold farm,’
Barony, Bishops.
In the Lib. Episc. 1580-87, the following lands are recorded : Ballakilley (now Ellerslie), Cooilingil.
Barony of St. Trinian’s.
The Liber Bangor et Sabal, 1603, in the Registry of Deeds, records the following lands, but in early times they were much more extensive. Botchin (now Boshen), Ballavitchell, Ballaglonney and the Rock. Also Ballachurrey in Kirk German, q.v.
1703 Man. Roll.
 Mx.Boayl rea, ‘level place.’
Boaly na mere.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx.Bwoaillee ny mayr, ‘fold of the roads.’ Probably where roads crossed. Bayr, ‘a road’ ; eclipsed in the gen. plural.
Boalyvane [].
Mx.Bwoaillee vane, ‘white fold.’
Bolrenny [].
1703 Man. Roll. Bolerenny, Boalrenny. Mx.Boayl rhennee, ‘ferny place.’
Bolthaan [].
The name of an enclosure near Ballingan. Such names always indicate places where the games and festivities of Beltane (Mx. Boaldyn) were held. v. also Chibbyrt Balthane in Kirk Christ Rushen ; and Baithane in Kirk Malew.
Boshen [].
1231 Papal Bull. Fotysdeyn,
1603 Lib. Bangor et Sabal. Botchin.
1703Man. Roll. Bottin.
1780 Dioc. Reg. Bwashen.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Bawshen.
In a Bull of Pope Gregory IX to Simon Bishop of Sodor and Mann, A. D. 1231, the name Fotysdeyn occurs as one of the Bishop’s lands in Mann. This name seems identifiable with Boshen, which place, although at an earlier date and also at a later date part of the Barony of St. Trinian’s, was part of the Bishop’s demesnes at the date mentioned.
The name is Scand. Forssteinn, ‘rock of the brook, stream, or torrent.’ The usual meaning of fors is a waterfall, but it is sometimes applied to a mountain torrent, as it is here ; In Norse place-names it becomes fot, fottz, etc. The rocky nature of Greeba mountain here is well-known. The adjoining farm was formerly known as Cregbeg, ‘little rock,’ and is now called ‘the Rock.’ It is probable that Fotysdeyn included Ballavitchal and Ballaglonney.
The evolution of the name would be as follows :—
1 Forsstein. 
2 Fotstein (Fotysdeyn).
3 Votsten. Note Mx. pron. of Vick for Fick. Vinch for Finch, etc.
4 Votchen (Bottin, Botchin).
5 Botchen. Regarded as aspiration of b, thus supposed radical restored . Note Eng. vase etc., pronounced base.
6 Boshen.
Braid, Braaid [].
1543 Man. Roll. Balla breid.
1703,, ,, Brade.
,, ,, Jo. Kewley na braide.
Mx.Breid, Ir. Braghad, lit. ‘throat, gullet, or wind-pipe,’ is applied to ‘a gorge, glen, or sheltered vale.’
Braid ny Boshen [].
‘The gorge of Boshen.’
Braid ny Darragh [].
‘The gorge of the Darragh’ ; the upper end of the Awin ny Darragh, q.v.
A modern name. Second element Gaelic. ‘Great brook.’ Part of Trollaby.
Cabbal Druiaght [].
As it stands, the name means ‘the druids’ chapel,’and in that case it is probably a modern name : If an old name the second element may be a metathetic form of Duthracht [ ] the name of an Irish saint. The Martyrology of Donegal says : ‘Duthracht of Liathdruim, son of Trichim, of Sabhall, who is of the race of Fiatach Finn. monarch of Erin.’
Campbell’s Bridge.
A family named Campbell lived here in the middle of the last century.
Cardall Treen.
1511, 1643 Man. Roll.
Scand. Kjarradalr, ‘brushwood or copsewood dale,’
( Mx. Names). Its modern Gaelic name is Glen Darragh, q.v.
Cashtal, The [].
‘The Castle.’ The name of a fort on Ballanicholas.
Cedar Lodge.
A cedar tree which grows here is said to be the only one in the Island.
1751 Dioc. Reg. Shimbaanagh.
Mx. Shenn Banejagh, ‘old lea-land.’
Chibbyr Roney [].
This name is sometimes written Chibbyr Oney, but Canon Quine states that the local pronunciation is as indicated above; showing its connection with St. Ronan, the saint to whom the parish is dedicated. The Canon adds that it was the traditional well from which the water for baptisms was drawn for Marown Church. ‘Ronan’s well.’
Close a killey.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Close or enclosure of the (parish) church.’
Close e Kerron
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Kerron or Karran’s close.
Close jarge.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx.jiarg, ‘red’; i.e. ‘red close.’
Close e Nellan.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx.Close yn ellan, ‘enclosure of the island.’ Ellan, when inland, meant a dry piece ofland or ‘island’ among marshes.
Close Mooar [].
‘Great enclosure.’
Close Noa.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘New enclosure.’
Cooillingill [ ].
1231 Papal Bull. Colusshil.
1580 Lib. Episc. Cooilingil.
1764 Dioc. Reg. Quillingil.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Cooningil.
Mx. Coolli infil (Ir. Cuil iseal), ‘low nook.’ This land was Bishop’s Barony from the earliest times. It is mentioned in a Bull of Pope Gregory IX to Simon Bishop of Sodor and Mann in AD. 1231. Bishop’s Barony.
Cormonagh [].
1820 Bishop’s Tithes Carvonah.
Mx. Cor moanagh, ‘turfy hill.’ In relation to this term cor, Joyce (‘Irish Names of Places’) says : ‘an unsatisfactory term to deal with topographically, for it has several meanings and it is often hard or impossible to distinguish. Its most frequent application is to a small round hill ; and in Mayo and all round there this is always its meaning. In the north-west it is sometimes applied to a pit or abrupt depression. As an adjective it often means ‘odd,’ and it is easy to imagine the circumstances that might give rise to this designation.’
Corvalley [].
1643 Man. Roll. Corvally.
1820 Bishop’s Tythes. Carvalla.
‘Odd farm or homestead.’ v. Cormonagh.
Mx. Greg y chabbyl, ‘rock of the horse.’
Creg Beg [].
‘Little rock.’ v. Rock and Boshen.
Creggan yn Annag [].
‘Craggy or rocky place of the crow.’
Creg ny Greeba [].
‘The Rock of Greeba.’
Cregwine [].
‘Quine’s rock.’ v. Ballaquine in Kk. Braddan.
Creg y Whuallian [].
‘Rock of the (quallian) whelp.’
Croit ny Roilgey.
1757 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Groit ny relliekey, ‘the croft of the churchyard.’ Adjoins the old parish churchyard.
Cronk ny Mucaillyn [].
This is the name given on the Ord. Sur. Map, which is good Manx for ‘the hill of the sows.’ In 1511, however, the holder of the land upon which this hill stands was Donald MacAleyn, and it is probable that the correct interpretation of the name should be’MacAleyn’s (now Callin) hill.’
Crosby [].
1795 Dioc. Reg. Crossby.
Scand. Krossbyr, ‘cross village or farm.’ Either named from an actual cross which may have stood here, or else from its situation near cross-roads. There is a Crosby in Lancs., also Krosby in Norway.
Crott Wyllin.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Mill Croft.’ This mill was on the farm now called the Rock.
Curragh Glass [ ].
‘Green marsh.’
Curragh Kipmore.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Gurragh kip mooar, ‘the marsh of the great tree-stumps or trunks. ‘ These are often found in marshy ground.
Curragh Leny.
1703Man. Roll.
Mx.lheeannee, ‘a meadow.’ ‘Meadow marsh.’
Curragh na largagh.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Curragh ny liargagh, ‘the marsh of the slope.’
Curragh na Aary.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The marsh of the shieling.’
c. 1193 Chart. Olave II of Mann.
This name occurs as an alternative designation of Balhamer. It is a Gall-Gaelic inversion of Scand. Hamardalr, ‘crag dale,’ which must have been applied to the low land lying between Greeba and Cooill Injil. The hybrid Balhamer (v. Ballaharry) would be a later application to the farm in the dale.
Dreemlang [ ].
The first element is Mx. dreeym, ‘a ridge’; and the second element, O.Eng. lang, -long’; which wasprobably added by an English settler. ‘Long ridge.’
Droghad a Caine.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Cain’s bridge.’ v. Mullen e Caine.
Eairy [ ].
1643 Man. Roll. Neyrey, Ary.
Part of this is now called Eairyploydwell. Ploydwell seems to be a surname, probably Cornish. Many Cornishmen were employed in Glen Rushen mines and else-where. ‘The shieling, or Ploydwell’s shieling.’
1703 Man. Roll. An Kellag, Ary’hellag.
‘ Kelly or O’Kelly’s shieling.’ v. Garth.
Eairyjora [ ].
1703 Man. Roll, Aryjora.
‘Strangers’ shieling.’
Eairyvane [ ].
‘White shieling.’
Eary ne sooie.
1792 Dioc. Reg. Airy na soie.
1867 Wood. Eary ny sooi.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Eairy ny suie.
The final element in this name seems to be Mx. soie; Ir. suidhe, ‘a seat.’ It usually meant ‘a residence,’ but was often understood in its literal sense, and referred to ‘a seat which had been used by some saint or great personage.’ ‘Shieling of the seat.’
Edd feeagh vooar. [ ].
‘Nest of the great raven.’
Ellerslie [ ].
A modern name- Re-named Ellerslie in 1833 by the owner, a man named Faulder. v. Ballakilley [Kneen mistaken here - in 1822 by Anthony Dunlop after birthplace of William Wallace].
Modern. Owned by a man named Eyres in 1867, who probably gave it this name. Its older name was Ballayemmy, q.v. [FPC in Nov 1832; this land was renamed Eyreton in honour of Mrs Elizabeth Eyres see under Robert Aiken]
1703 Man. Roll.
Far has two meanings in Manx, ‘false’ or ‘upper.’ The probable meaning here is ‘upper hollow.’
Focronk [ ].
1754 Dioc. Reg. Foh Chronk.
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Fowcronk.
‘Under (the) hill.’
Garey Feeyney [ ].
‘Wine garden, i.e. a vineyard.’ Probably modern.
Garey keeill Vreeshey.
1861 Yn Lioar Manninagh.
‘The garden of Bridget’s church.’ Or perhaps garee, ‘a shrubbery.’ Ruins of ancient church here, dedicated to St. Bridget. v. Keeill Vreeshey.
Garth, Treen. [ ]
1511 Man. Roll Gert ue gelghy.
1643 ,, ,, Green e gill.
1703 ,, ,, Gart.
Ir. Gort Ui Cheallaigh, ‘O’Kclly’s field.’ This surname became MacHelly, and was still found in the adjoining treen in 1511. v. Fairy Kellag, which was the shieling belonging to this family. In modern Manx gart means ‘a field of standing corn.’
Gary Dow.
1733 Man. Roll.
Mx. Garee doo, ‘black river-shrubbery.’
Glenlough, Treen, [ ].
1511 Man. Roll. Gleriloch.
1643 ,, ,, Glenlough (Treen & Q’rland.)
Mx. Glion logh, ‘lake glen.’
Gob ny Creg [ ].
‘Headland of the rocks.’
Greena Spurr.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The green of the spur.’ Eng.
Keeill Ingafi [ ].
‘Fingan’s church.’ Fingan or Finnian (St.)was abbot of Clonard in Meath. There were two churches in Mann dedicated to this saint. v. Ballakillingan, Kirli Christ Lezayre.
Keeill Pharick [ ],
‘Patrick’s (St.) church.’ The ruins of this ancient church are still to be seen on Ballafreer. A fair was formerly held on Ascension Day, and the religious service connected therewith was continued for some time after the fair had disappeared. It is probable that the fair was originally held near St. Patrick’s Day. A local legend says that as St, Patrick was crossing the adjoining field to attend divine worship at the ‘keeill,’ he trod upon a thorn, and thereupon cursed the field, and said that it would nevermore bear crops. This curse is said to have been fulfilled, and no crops have been taken off the field within living memory.
Keeill Vreeshey [ ].
‘Bridget’s (St.) church.’
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Knockan y lheiy, ‘the hillock of the calf.’ Knock and Knockan have been preserved as literary forms, the modern colloquial forms are cronk and crongan.
Knock ashin.
1703 Man. Roll. Knokadding.
1757 Dioc. Reg. Knock ashin.
Mx. Cronk (or Knock) aittin,,’gorse hill.’ Adjoining parson’s glebe.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Rye hill.’
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Knock (mod. cronk) ny moghiane, ‘hill of the old hedges or fences.’ Probably an earthwork.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The hollow of the old road (bollagh).
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Little hollow.’
Lhargee Ruy.
1867 Wood. Lhergy rhea.
‘Red slope.’
Lhargee Wooar.
1643 Man. Roll. Largy Moore.
‘Great slope.’
Lheargy renny.
1703 Man. Roll. Lheargy renny.
1867 Wood. Lhergy Rhenny.
‘Ferny slope.’
Lhiaght y Kinry [ ].
1761 Dioc. Reg. Laght a Cynry.
‘Kinry or Harrison’s tomb. "Erected in memory of a person of this name who was rash enough to wager that he would run naked from Douglas to Bishop’s Court and back on a snowy day, and who perished in the attempt," (Moore’s Manx Names).
Mona na muck.
1867 Wood. Moaney ny Muckley.
‘Turbary or turf-pit of the pig or piggery.’
Mony lagegh, laggagh.
‘The turbary of the hollow.’
Mullen Balniclas.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The mill of Ballanicholas.’
Mullen e caine.
1511 Man. Roll. Patrick McCane in Treen of Glenloch.
1703,, ,, Mullen e caine.
Thos. Christian, Clerke, the holder of this mill in 1703 was probably the Clerk of Kirk Marown Church adjoining. ‘Cain’s mill.’
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Mwyllin glion ny gro, ‘mill of glen of the nuts.’
Nab [].
‘Little hill.’ Ir. cnap ; this and its two diminutives cnapdn and cnapóg, are frequently met with in Mann. This is the ancient name of Cronk ny mucaillyn, q.v.
Patrick’s Chair, St.
Probably a modern name. "This may have been originally a pagan burial mound. Two upright stones of the 6th century bear incised Latin crosses." (P.M.C. Kermode’s ‘Manks Antiquities’).
Qoole Ingeene
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Girls’ or daughter’s nook.’
Rheynn [ ].
1867 Woods Rhyne.
‘A division or ridge.’
Rennagh [ ].
Mx. rhenniagh, ‘ferny place.’
Rhencheiry [ ].
1820 Bishop’s Tithes. Reynseiry.
1867 Wood. Rhencheiry.
1882 Brown’s Dir. Rhencherry.
Mx. Rheynn Gharree, ‘foals’ division.’
Ring, The.
Name of a fort on Ballanicholas. Probably English ring from its round shape.
1603 Lib. Bangor et Sabal. Rock, The.
1757 Dioc. Reg. Rock.
Part of Creg beg, q,v. Barony of St. Trinian’s.
Sanrebrek, Treen.
1511 Man. Roll. Sanrebrek.
1703,, ,, Sandbrick.
Scand. Sand-brekka, ‘sandy slope,’ or Sanda-brekka, ‘Sandi’s slope.’ The latter derivation is more probable. The boundary here between Kirk Marown and Kirk Santan seems to have been altered at some time, as it cuts this treen into two parts, one half being in Kirk Santan. v. Sulbrick. Kirk Santan.
1703 Man. Roll.
A derivative of Manx sheidey, ‘to blow’; sheidaghan means ‘a place which is subject to sudden gusts or puffs of wind.’
Slieau Chiarn [ ].
1793 Dioc. Reg. Slieu Chiarn.
‘Lord’s mountain.’
Slieau Ruy [ ].
‘Red mountain.’ From the heather.
St. Trinian’s Church.
 c. 1193 Confirm. Chart. Olave II of Mann. Ecclesia Sancti Niniani de Ballacgniba.
1587 Lib. Bangor et Sabal. Sct. Trennons.
1603 ,, ,, ,‘ ,, St. Trynon’s
1701 Dioc. Reg. St. Trinion’s.
Dedicated to St. Ninian, the patron saint of Candida Casa or Whithern, in Galloway. This ecclesiastical ruin is on the Barony of St. Trinian’s, which formerly belonged to the Priory of Whithern. [St. Ninian is little known outside of Scotland, and there are no dedications to him in Ireland. The church in question was the only church dedicated to him in Mann, and his dedication date is not marked on the Manx Calendar by either festival or fair. v. Ballacgniba in Kirk German.
Stuggadoo [ ].
1703 Man. Roll. Stuckadow.
1761 Dioc. Reg. Stuckey doo.
1793 ,, ,, Stucadoo.
Mx. Stuggey doo, ‘black piece.’
Trollaby River.
v. Trollaby Treen.
Trollaby, Treen [].
1511, 1643 Man. Roll. Trolby.
Scand. Trolla-byr, which may mean ‘the farm of the trolls’ or ‘Trolli’s farm’ (personal name). There is a little stream here running down through the glen which one might well imagine as being the supposed abode of ‘trolls,’ or goblins.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000