[From The Manx Quarterly, #23]

Memorial Notices


Died March 26th, 1920.

After a somewhat lengthy illness, Mr . Thomas Elgie Jefferson died at Ballahot, Malew, on Friday evening, March 26th. The deceased gentleman, who was 63 years old, was a son of the late Mr E. Jefferson, and nephew of the late Mr William Bickerstaff Jefferson, from whom he inherited Ballahot, where, after some experience in the Colonies, he carried on business as a farmer and lime-burner. In his youth, he served in the Zulu War. His wife (formerly Miss Evelyn Blythe) survives him. Except for one who died in infancy, there was only one child, the late Capt. Elgie E. B. Jefferson, Croix de Guerre, who, after a brilliant Career in the Royal Air Service, was killed on May 19th, 1919, while passenger-carrying for the Government between London and Paris. Capt. Jefferson (who, like his father before him, was an old boy of King William’s College) frequently carried most distinguished personages to Paris—including Mr Bonar Law, when attending the Peace Conference—and, on the occasion when his craft was lost, was carrying over one of the Government’s most valued experts on the subject of improving the product of wheat cultivation. Capt. Jefferson’s body was subsequently found off the coast of France, and is buried there. Many of our readers will call to mind the fondness of Mr Jefferson for litigation, when he sometimes won. He also kept some dogs of the Great Dane breed, which were considered dangerous, and had to be kept under strict control. Mr Jefferson never got over his son’s death. — The funeral took place on Mar. 30, at Malew Churchyard, and was well attended by a large number of friends from the surrounding parishes.—Mrs Jefferson has the sympathy of everyone in her great bereavement.

[According to 1881 census: age 24, unmarried, born in Liverpool and farming Ballahot for his uncle.]


John Hattersley Clarke

Died April 24th, 1920.

Mr John Hattersley Clarke, who for several months past was known to be in unsatisfactory health, passed away early on April 24th, 1920, at his residence, Brynwood, Woodbourne-road, Douglas. In early manhood he succeeded his father, the late Mr William Clarke, in a number off commission agencies for firms of repute, and as the Insular representative of the Norwich Union Insurance Society. Mr Clarke was 52 years of age, and stood high in public esteem for his uprightness and far the hearty way in which he gave himself to good works, chiefly in religious and .philanthropic directions.


The Rev G. Osborn Gregory, at the close of evening service in Victoria-street Wesleyan Church, on April 25, said: You are all aware that John Hattersley Clarke has passed to his reward. In the ordinary course we should have had a memorial service there to-night; but it is the special wish of his relatives and his own personal wish that no public notice should be taken of his death in that way, or that one word of praise should be made of his character or work. You all knew him, loved him, and respected .him, and not only here in this town and Island, but far beyond its bounds, he was honoured, respected, and loved, and we would all have been glad to have shown our respect publicly. He was a servant of the Lord, and his work was done as unto the Lord, and he desired no praise from men. I shall respect that wish. I thank God far his life and for his work and influence here. Wherever he went he gave God the glory and the praise. I pray that God will give comfort and grace to those bereaved ones he has left behind. It was also his wash that we should not play the " Dead March " in the church on the Sunday after he had passed home, but that the congregation should sing his favourite hymn. I therefore ask you all to unite in singing hymn 59-" I'll praise my Maker while I've breath."

Similar references were made at Rose Mount and Well-road Churches by the Rev C. Forrington and the Rev F. John respectively.


The funeral took place at Braddan Cemetery on April 27th, 1920, and was very largely attended. The public institutions with which Mr Clarke was connected at the time of his death, the Insular Legislature, and numerous other bodies were well represented. The minis-ters and district and local officials of the Wesleyan Methodist Church were present, together with a large representation of the other religious bodies. The mourners were the Misses Clarke, sisters. Assembling at Brynwood at nine o'clock, the cortege proceeded by way of Albany-Toad and the Quarter Bridge-road to Braddan Cemetery, where the last solemn committal rites were performed by the Rev G. O. Gregory and the Rev F. John.


Died April 20th, 1920.

The death took place at seven o'clock on Tuesday, April 20th, of Mr Daniel F. Putt, stock and share broker, at his residence in Alpine-terrace. Mr Putt took ill about ten days ago, with what was supposed to be an attack of bronchitis, which developed into double pneumonia, to which he succumbed. Mr Putt started his career in the Bank of Liverpool, and in due course became a branch manager in Liverpool. He afterwards accepted a position abroad in the Bank of Persia, but the climate did not agree with him, and he returned to England. After coming to the Isle of Man he joined with Mr W. J. Cain in the stock and share business, under the title of Cain & Putt, afterwards taking the business over himself on Mr Cain leaving the Island. He was a member of Finch Hill Congregational Church, was one of the deacons there for some years, and was interested in all the charitable work of the town, being secretary of two societies. Mr Putt had no relatives in the Island.

The funeral took place on Friday, April 23, at the Borough Cemetery, after a service in Finch Hill Congregational Church, con-ducted by the Revs. Martin C. Taylor and A. H. Whiteley. There was a large number of persons present at the funeral.


Died April 13th, 1920.

One of the most modest and unassuming men in Douglas passed away on April 13th, at 76 Derby-square, Douglas, in the- person of Mr John Christian Cannell, at the age of 75 years. Mr Cannell was a son of the late Mr William Cannell, of Hope-street, joiner and builder, and a nephew of the late Mr Robert Cannell, hatter, of King street. He, too, was a joiner and builder by trade, but became Secretary to the Douglas Water Works Co., and filled that position until the company was bought out by the Douglas Town Commissioners about 30 years ago, when he was given a hand-some honorarium as pension. He never again took up any business, but he assisted in the management of the Douglas Steam Saw Mill Co. up to his death. He married a Miss Clucas, of The Strang, and there are two sons and two daughters, three of whom survive, viz., Mr William Cannell,.Mr John Christian Cannell, and Miss Agnes Cannell. Miss Katie Cannell, a nurse,. died last year. A sister, Mrs Thos. Craine, of London-road, Liverpool, Miss Cannell, of Hope-street, Douglas, and an elder brother-the Rev. W. Cannell, Wesleyan minister, of New Plymouth, New Zealand, also survive. Mrs Cannell died some years ago. Mr Cannell was a member of the Victoria-street Wesleyan Methodist Church, and was constant in attendance, his place being hardly ever vacant. He was also a member of the Douglas Board of Guardians, and treasurer to the Douglas Town and Seamen's Mission (The Bethel), and honorary auditor to several institutions.-The funeral took place on Friday, April 16th, interment being at the Borough Cemetery, and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends.



Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2001