Shore Road Wesley Methodist Chapel 1777
Grid Reference SC244842
The first meeting place was on Shore Road - became a net factory in the
1850s to 70s, later used by the Rechabites
and Salvation Army ; now the Peel Youth Centre
The building and land ("a house or tenement lately erected; standing near the shore at east end of sd town commonly called the sandside") were sold by John Clarke, his wife Cath Crellin & John Gawn for £5 to trustees Thos Costean, Chas Costean, William Clark, William Gawn, Wm Kaighen, John Shimmin & Thos Quirk by deed dated 25 Mar 1778 (NSS German Oct 1778 #14) - witnessed by Robt Corlett; Jas Kayll, Thos Cowin and Daniell Caveen (signed x)
Primitive Methodist Chapel Kirk Michael Street 1835
Grid Reference SC243841
Shown on 1869 O/S map as fronting onto K.Michael. St. with rear in Chapel
Lane; site was for many years the Electricity Showroom and now a hardware
shop - though rebuilt seems still to have same chapel architectural shape.
In 1834 Mrs Margaret Gell sold plot for £20 to John Crellin, Thomas
Karran, Michael Oates, Robert Keown, Charles Quayle, John Cavendish and
Originally the chapel was mortaged to John Crellin for £150 - on his death Caesar Wattleworth called it in but trustees could only pay £10 but borrowed £140 from James Karran of Douglas in 1853
Peel Centenary Wesley Methodist Chapel 1839
Grid Reference SC246840
Named from the centenary of the 'foundation' of the Methodist Union by
the merger of two societies and of the first Methodist Chapel, the 'New
Room' Horsefair Bristol, the foundation stone of which was laid in May
1739 by John Wesley.
On the other side of Atholl Street a hall and Sunday School - Centenary Hall - was bult in the mid 1870s, substantially rebuilt in 1913 and which for the past 30 years, under secular management, has been considerably modernised and now provides a home for many activities in Peel.
Two articles in IoM Family History Society Journal cover the burial
ground at Peel Athol Street
A Methodist Graveyard (Atholl St Peel) Vol ii No.2 April 1980 pp31-36
More about Methodist Burials at Peel Vol ii No.3 July 1980 pp74-79
(The information in these, plus additional information, is collected in a separate page).
Grid Reference SC245841
Closed, recently used as depot for a furnishing company but now [2004/5] converted to apartments within the same building line, but only the facade remains.
The 1906 photo shows it in its previous glory:
Its organ is now in Jurby parish church.