[from A.M Harrision's Descriptive List of Insular Societies]

(26) The St. Johns Friendly Society - 1814-1879

Description

The Manx Sun of 18 May 1826 printed an account of the twelfth anniversary of 'one of the most numerous and respectable of the benefit societies on the Island', when 190 members out of a total of 210 attended at St. Johns for the festivities.

Described as a model institution to be subscribed to by the mechanic and the labourer and 'encouraged and supported by the affluent, especially in a country where no poor's rates can be claimed', the club first walked in procession to the Tynwald Chapel for divine service where an appropriate discourse was delivered by the Rev. Samuel Gelling, son of the Vicar of German. 'They then resumed their walk accompanied by an excellent band of music and made a circuit round the famous Tynwald Hill, the band playing on the top the patriotic and popular airs of "God Save the King, the Roast Beef of Old England, Auld Lang Syne - Mollycharane, &c., &c.", attended with reiterated cheers in the fulness of honest and loyal hearts.'

After parading round they adjourned to a tent on the Tynwald Green where an excellent dinner was prepared by Mrs. Mylchreest. 'Amongst the loyal and appropriate toasts the following stood conspicuous . God save the King with 3 x3 The Duke of York and the Army The Lieut. Governor of the Isle of Man The Legislature of the Isle of Man God Speed the Plough, and last, not least, The Lovely Girls of Mona'

The programme portrays a group of workmen, many of wnom would be employed in the neighbouring mines of Foxdale and Rushen, thoroughly at home in an Anglo-Manx society; the total acceptance of the patriotic songs of England blending with the reciprocal use of the particularly significant Manx air 'Mylecharane', the later basis of the Manx National Anthem of 1897. The well-run club had reserve funds of almost £500, offered for loan, and in the Manx Advertiser of 6 October 1829 thanked 'Wilson Ray Esq.,M.R.C.S., for his attendance on William Kennagh, who had his arm lacerated while blasting in the mines.' It was still functioning in 1879 and was listed as active in the Medical Aid and Poor Relief Commission Report of that year.

Records

M.N.H.L., Club loan records, M.M.Mss. 3979C; Isle of Man newspapers, ut supra et passim:

Publications

...

Later research

 


  Back index next  

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2026